Pages

My ride is over, but the memories will last forever.

A life long dream fulfilled ... a great cause ... new friends ... amazing support

Thanks to everyone who helped make a difference!


I have maxed out the picture space on this blog. To see my postings for Day 42 (August 1st) onward click the link below:

GOTO Mark's Trek - NEW Daily BLOG (August 1st Onward)



Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 19 -- July 9th -- Casper, WY Rest Day

Miles Ridden: A few around town, but who's counting
Avg Speed: Slow
Avg Heart Rate: Relaxed
Climbing: Not
Calories Burned: More Like Consumed

Our 2nd Rest Day ...  Sleeping Late ... Cleaning Bike ... Massage ... Ahhhh

After almost 1,400 miles of riding, we got our second rest day in Casper, WY.  It was great to sleep in!  I didn't get out of bed until 9AM.  Dave had some family friends in the area, so he headed to spend the day with them.  While I did tend to a few things, my day was at a very relaxed pace.  My day in a nutshell:


Our Home for Two Nights
 9:30 AM  Breakfast at the hotel with Katie, Leo, and Sandy.

10:15 - 11:30 AM  On the phone with my girls, V-Gear, local massage therapist, and Acme Bicycles in Rapid City, SD.  Mark's Trek jerseys have finally left Asia and will be in New York on Monday the 12th.  I hope to have them shipped to me later next week.  I scheduled a massage at Alpine Massage with Scott McCord.  I was talking with Acme because my bike computer and heart rate monitor will soon need a new battery and Polar only replaces them through the factory.  I have been wanting a new Garmin for awhile, so I had Acme order a Garmin 500 for me in time for my arrival in Rapid City on Monday the12th.

11:30 - 12:15 PM  Bike and drive chain cleaning.  Chain lubing.  A clean bike is a happy bike.

12:15 - 1:45 PM  Biked downtown, explored, and had lunch at Subway with Shirley and Howard from Iowa.  Downtown Casper is pretty quiet and has a 1950's feel to it.  There are several cool sculptures by Jeff Anslinger and Chris Navaro to see.  I have a three figure set of Navaro Indians in my collection.  Casper also has several theaters including the Rialto, which was built in the 1920's.  I also stopped into the local nine story institution called Lou Taubert Ranch Outfitters.  Can you say cowboy boots?  They have 10,000 pairs!  Toronto Mark's wife Susan picked up a pair.  She will need to scuff them up a bit and wear them to make sure they don't charge her a duty at customs.

Anslinger Sculpture
Rialto Theater

Navaro Sculpture

Lou Taubert Ranch Outfitters

Lou Taubert Ranch Outfitters Interior

1:45 - 3:00  Full body massage at Alpine Massage on 2nd Street.  Just what my body kneeded (get it).  Scott used to run a local bike store for almost 12 years, but switched to massage about 8 years ago.

3:00 - 5:00 PM  Took a quick spin to the Fort Caspar Museum.  Today's history lesson ... Back in 1859 it was trading post, overnight stage stop, Pony Express mail stop and telegraph office. A few years later it served as a military post to guard against Indian Raids. Sioux and Cheyenne warriors tried to eliminate the post in 1865.  Lt. Caspar Collins led a small military unit against the Indians, but was killed.  Shortly after this battle, the Army officially named the outpost Fort Caspar, in honor of the fallen lieutenant. The fort, abandoned in 1867, was reconstructed on the original site in 1936 using sketches made by Caspar Collins in 1863.

Fort Caspar

5:00 - 7:00 PM  Laundry in the hotel and dinner at JB's restaurant with several other ABB riders including Katie, Beth, Margo, Rick, Bruno, Daniel, Teresa, and John.

7:00 - 10:00 PM Relaxing, emailing, and blogging in the room.  Lights out.

That was my day ... tomorrow we ride 106 miles to Lusk, WY.  They have a big parade in honor of Raw Hide ... hmm, I wonder what that is.

Good night moon ... good night Cathy's pig (with my bow tie!) ... good night relaxed and rested body (another tough week awaits) ... good night failing bike computer battery (please last three more days) ... good night loyal Facebook friends and followers (I look forward to your daily emails and comments)