Pages

My ride is over, but the memories will last forever.

A life long dream fulfilled ... a great cause ... new friends ... amazing support

Thanks to everyone who helped make a difference!


I have maxed out the picture space on this blog. To see my postings for Day 42 (August 1st) onward click the link below:

GOTO Mark's Trek - NEW Daily BLOG (August 1st Onward)



Sunday, April 25, 2010

Week of 04/25/10 - 4 Great Rides and 4 Gold Donors Push me Over $10k Raised

A BIG week ... my highest weekly riding total of the year (almost 230 miles) and four new gold level sponsors!  I pushed past 2,500 miles for the year and have now raised over $10,500 for the American Lung AssociationMark's Trek Across America on Facebook surpassed 500 members.  A BIG week indeed.

While this week will be remembered for the larger gold donations that came in, I want to thank the individuals who also helped make a difference.  My bronze donors make up the biggest group of supporters ... without their help, I would not have gotten where I am.  Shout outs to Ivan & Debbie Lubash (my sister-in-law's parents),  Craig Wehr (another health IT cohort, now at PROTEUS Technologies), Micky & Dave Winn (I grew up next door to them), Alberta Sannie-Ariyibi (previous coworker at Northrop Grumman), and Melvin & Edith Katzman (friends of my parents from Florida).  If you are reading my blog and have not donated, I hope you will consider supporting this important cause at http://www.markstrek.info/.

Onto the Gold Sponors ...

VBT Bicycling Vacations - Thanks to Gregg Marston and his great team in Bristol, Vermont. VBT has been providing awesome bicycling, walking, and travel adventures for almost 40 years.  They were ranked one of the “Best Bicycling Outfitters on Earth” in the 2009 by National Geographic Adventure magazine. VBT has a long history of supporting the American Lung Association and helped Ned Van Woert and his wife with their cross country tour in 2009.

Maryland Mutual Mortgage, LLC - I have used Corey Anderson and his staff to help close two loans the past five years.  They have top notch customer service and always seem to find the best rates and best lenders.  Corey offers a wide range of programs and will work to find the right package to meet your needs.  I appreciate their support with my ride!

Stuart Rubenstein - Stu and I go all the way back to high school and our days in New England Region USY.  We spent some great times together!  Stu has settled in the Baltimore area and now works with Constellation Energy.  Stu's mother & mother-in-law have COPD.  I ride for families like Stu's and hope the funds raised can make a difference in their lives.
AllStaff Technical Solutions - For almost 20 years, Atlanta based Allstaff Technical Solutions has been providing outstanding technical resources focused on infrastructure support, application development, and program support.  They offer technical solutions, subcontracting solutions, and staffing solutions to large and small businesses active in the Federal Government market.  Thanks to Josh Feingold and his team!

On the training front, rain on Wednesday and the big Glenelg Country School auction kept me off the bike a few days, but I still had four great rides of 50+ miles inclucing a 100k+ event for the Ulman Cancer Fund.  After a typical Monday rest day, I enjoyed an almost 60 mile ride through Sandy Spring, Olney, Rockville, and Laytonsville before heading home via two great cycling routes on Gregg Road and Haviland Mill Road.  These roads seem a thousand miles away from the hussle and bussle of the area and throw in a few steep climbs for good measure.  Thursday saw 55 varied miles including a great descent into Ellicott City on New Cut Road, the historic hills of Oella and Catonsville, the Grist Mill and BWI trails, and a short stretch on the  Baltimore and Annapolis trail to Bruster's for an ice cream.  I returned via Sevren and Ft. Meade. 


After work on Friday, I headed out for another 50 miles to the serene roads around Sugarloaf Mountain.  Some of the best cycling in Maryland.  I climbed the mountain three times before meandoring through Dickinson and Poolesville.





After a fun filled and successful night at the auction, I slept in on Sunday.  I was supposed to have gotten up early to ride in the Columbia Triathlon Association's LIFEfest 100k for the Ulman Cancer Fund.  My late wake up did not stop me from completing the ride ... it was just a little lonlier on the route ... since I did not start until just about everyone had finished.  The route took me to Mt. Airy through all the great roads of western Howard County.  66 miles with a few extra miles to/from my house.  You can see the route at Ulman 100k

The Ulman Cancer Fund is focused on supporting, educating, connecting and empowering young adult cancer survivors.  The Fund's founder, Doug Ulman, is a three-time cancer survivor, and was named the president and chief executive officer of the Lance Armstrong Foundation in 2007. Doug's brother and co-founder of the Fund, Ken Ulman, is the Howard County Executive and helped establish the Healthy Howard Access Plan, a non-profit organization to bring affordable health care to uninsured county residents.

Eight weeks until I leave for Oregon.  I am working with Woof Cycling and Jason Kamps to finalize the design of the new Leo's Legacy and Mark's Trek Across America jersey ... watch for mock-ups in a future posting.