Pages

My ride is over, but the memories will last forever.

A life long dream fulfilled ... a great cause ... new friends ... amazing support

Thanks to everyone who helped make a difference!


I have maxed out the picture space on this blog. To see my postings for Day 42 (August 1st) onward click the link below:

GOTO Mark's Trek - NEW Daily BLOG (August 1st Onward)



Sunday, April 11, 2010

Week of 04/11/10 - 200+ Miles - A Metric and a Ride with 2009 AAN Alum

I sent in my final payment for the trip!

My training, fundraising, and media outreach are in full gear ... great results on all fronts.  I'll start the blog off with a big thanks to Silver level donors Peter Moore and Jane Lambert.  Peter has donated at this level for four years!  Peter and I worked together for several years on the Retiree Drug Subsidy Program for the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.  Everyone who knows me must know Jane ... she is my mother-in-law, and wife to my ride's inspiration, Leo.  We had a great visit with "Grammy' last week!  I also wanted to thank Bobby & Sue Teperow for donating.  Bobby and I were in New England Region United Synagogue Youth together way back when ... some wonderful memories.  Bobby has coordinated a few great reunions the last few years. Bobby had sleep apnea and used a CPAP machine for several years.  He no longer uses it thanks to an amazing weight loss.  Learn more at Bariatric Coach MA.

On the media and PR front, I had a great meeting with the team at the American Lung Associstion of New England this week. Next week I will sit down with the PR team on the plan for outreach along my trip.  We are working on media interviews and visits to some lung related groups/facilities.  I spoke with the Alpha-1 Foundation about my ride.  Look for an article soon.

On the training front, I another another 200+ miles including rides of 45 (Tues), 37 (Wed), 29 (Thur), 35 (Sat), and 61 (Sun).  Saturday's ride was with 2009 America by Bicycle alumn Chuck Davis.  He rode the same Across America North ride last summer with Mike Monk (same tour guide I will have). We rode for a few hours through hilly Caroll County from Westminster and touched the Pennsylvania border before returning to his house.  Chuck provided me great insight on the trip and even made copies of most of the daily cue sheets.  He was one of the quicker riders last year and often got finsihed so early each day that hew would head to the local watering hole or restaraunt to wait for the ABB trucks to arrive at the host hotel.  Chuck is on the far right in the "Team DQ" picture below.  I have also chatted with several other 2009 alum via Facebook.  The comradery among them is cool ... I am excited to meet the folks on my tour soon.  On that front, I continue to talk regularly with Katie and Helen.  It has been fun getting to know them.



Sunday's ride was full metric century meandoring the rolling hills of Howard and Caroll counties.  Closing in on $9,000 raised and 2,200 miles for the year (almost at the 50/50 level for outdoor/indoor miles).  Thanks for all the help!