Pages

My ride is over, but the memories will last forever.

A life long dream fulfilled ... a great cause ... new friends ... amazing support

Thanks to everyone who helped make a difference!


I have maxed out the picture space on this blog. To see my postings for Day 42 (August 1st) onward click the link below:

GOTO Mark's Trek - NEW Daily BLOG (August 1st Onward)



Sunday, November 8, 2009

Week of 11/08/09 - 7 for 7 and 150 Miles


I hate the end of daylight savings.  The sun goes down at 5:00 and I am still a late night person, so getting up with the early sunrise and cool temperatures just isn't in me ... I guess I should work on that.  Too busy to schedule daytime rides on Monday and Tuesday, so it was downstairs to the trusty Trek 1200 and my Cyclops trainer.  Monday saw 15 miles while watching the Phillies hold on for an 8-6 win against the dreaded Yankees.  I knew it would be tough for the Phillies to win two straight in Yankee stadium, but as a die hard Red Sox fan, I prayed to the Lord (Hall of Famer Carl Yastrzemski that is!).  On Tuesday I rode to the last leg (17 miles) of the Lake Placid Iron Man route with Coach Troy and his helmet cam.  The on the road series is a nice variation from the standard Spinervals DVDs.
Wednesday's schedule kept me inside for a third consecutive day. With the Yankees is control of game 6, I watched a new epsiode of Criminal Minds and sweated out another 18 miles. Did I mention, I hate the Yankees.  On Thursday I scheduled some time to ride near work.  I started from the South Germantown Recreational Park.  This is a great starting point and provides access to Sugarloaf Mountain and a wide variety of great roads near Poolesville, White's Ferry, Dickinson, and several other quiet towns.  In operation since 1786, White’s Ferry is the last working ferry on the Potomac River. The C&O Canal pases the Ferry entrance.  Today's ride took me to Secneca via Sugarland, Partnership, and River Road.  Surgarland is barely a one lane road with almost no cars. I passed the Seneca Schoolhouse Museum, a typical one room school house from the 1880's. The route was just shy of 30 miles. Friday was windy and cold (low 40's) ... Given the nice weekend forecast, I opted to stay inside and spun hard for 22 miles to some old Garth Brooks tunes.
Wonderful fall weather was back in form for the weekend.  On Saturday I spent the morning brainstroming on fundraising and website ideas.  I finalize things with the Lung Assocition on Monday and will present my pitch to Northrop Grumman later in the week.  The girls went off to sell Girl Scout cookies, so I headed out for a nice 50k (31 miles) to Marriottsville via Centennial Lane and Route 99.  Return was past Glenelg Circle and Homewood.  I went right past the sight of a Halloween night murder (a rare occurence in Howard County).  Stopped to see the cookie sale and ate some when I got home!

Sunday was another gorgeous day, but we headed to Frederick to look at a house we had seen last summer in Braddock Heights.  Braddock Heights is located at the top of Braddock Mountain (almost 1,00 feet up). It was founded in 1896 as a summer resort community and eventually included several hotels, a community pool, a wooden floor skating rink, an amusement park, scenic overlooks, nature trails, and until 1980, a small ski resort.  It is now known for its eclectic houses (no two are alike) and scenic views of Frederick and the Monocacy and Middletown valleys.  The house we looked at was a 1930 Victorian that we had seen  last summer.  It had dropped significantly in price and was well worth the look.  We decided it was just too small.  Some day ... I spun inside with Leah singing some more Garth Brooks tunes for 18 miles.  Heavy inside work with a couple nice outdoor rides gave me 150 miles for the week.